Saturday, March 5, 2011

Being a Vegetarian in AK

Just a quick post.. but I wanted to tell you about my experience with being a vegetarian in Alaska so far...
Apparently people up here aren't used to vegetarians. We went to grab lunch at Wendy's yesterday and I asked for a ceasar salad without chicken. In VT that wouldn't be an issue. The lady looked at me like I was crazy.. She had to go talk to the manager and ask him what I was talking about. Anyways, I eventually got my salad and everything worked out. In our hotel they have a restaurant. We went there for dinner tonight and on the menu was crab bread. The description was "Cream cheese and chunks of crab meat and vegetables on a toasted bread with sauce". I didn't think it would be an issue to ask for the bread without the meat. I got another weird look from the waitress and she was so confused why I was asking for it without the crab. Eventually we explained to her that I didn't want meat on my bread, just cream cheese, cheese, and vegetables. I just thought it was interesting how different it is ordering food here in AK.
- Megan

p.s. Carl..by the way, we're having Pizza, oh no wait.. Pizzr tonight..

No comments:

Post a Comment